Picture of Muktinath temple with prayer flags


Hindus and Buddhists alike visit Muktinath-Chumig Gyatsa since hundreds of years.

The building of the central temple is initated by Queen Subarna Prabha, the second wife of Shah Rana Bahadur (1775-1806), King of Nepal, after she had a dream. In 1815 AD - the year of the ending of the Anglo-Nepal war - the temple at Muktinath was built, as can be read on a bronze plaquette in the temple.


Later a purely Hindu temple was added near by as well, the Shiva-Parvati Mandir.

The temple is built in the typical pagoda style of a Hindu temple in Kathmandu Valley and is dedicated to the Lord of Salvation (to Mukti Nath), Lord Vishnu, or Chenrezig as the Buddhists call him (or Avalokitesvara).

back     next

Index of Muktinath structures
Index of people at Muktinath


Annapurna - Muktinath Map - Muktinath History - Muktinath Lama Wangyal - Travel Info - Nuns - Picture Gallery - Site Map- MFI Recommendations -
Support us with a donation

 

Site Meter